Romans 8:5-11 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.
(6) For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
(7) Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be.
(8) So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
(9) But you are not on the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ he is not His.
(10) And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
(11) But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.
(8:5) Brothers and sisters, the Greek word rendered. SET THEIR MINDS includes a person’s (your) will, thoughts, and emotions. It also includes assumptions, values, desires, and purposes. Setting the (your) mind ON THE THINGS OF THE FLESH or on the things of the SPIRIT means being oriented to or governed by those things on which we focus.
(8:6) Peace is the resolution of the intense warfare described in Romans chapter 7, as well as the inward harmony and tranquility that results from yielding to God.
(8:7) The reason that being carnally minded results in death (Romans 8:6) is that the CARNAL MIND is an enemy of God. The mind of the flesh is hostile to God and can never submit itself TO THE LAW OF GOD.
(8:8) Being IN THE FLESH is different from “walking according to the flesh.” Being in the flesh means unregenerate or sinful. People in that state CANNOT PLEASE GOD.
(8:9) Christians no longer live according to the flesh, under control of their sinful human nature. Instead, with the SPIRIT living in them and empowering them, we can live in a way pleasing to God.
(8:10) DEAD BECAUSE OF SIN refers not to physical death but to the “body of death (Romans 7:24) (see also 8:6). The problem that Paul is dealing with in this verse is how the “dead” body in which sin dwells, can be made the vehicle for expressing the life of God.
(8:11) Brothers and sisters, the solution to the problem of the flesh is the HOLY SPIRIT. He give LIFE TO YOUR MORTAL BODIES. Being spiritually minded means overcoming the deadness of the body and experiencing life and peace. This is the resurrection life.
Philippians 3:10 That I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His suffering, being conformed to His death.
Accept Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, today. Today is the day of salvation. Now is the accepted time. Salvation is a free gift. You may not really have tomorrow. Have a Blessed Day.
Written By Edward Jeffries