Courtesy of Edward Jeffries
Less children in all communities today are attending Sunday School and church regularly in the United States of America than ever in our history as a nation. Many parents don’t attend and many parents don’t believe that regular church attendance is necessary for themselves and their children. Some parents believe, that I am not going to make a child/children attend church the way my parents made me attend. This is very tragic!
1. Do we make our child/children brush their teeth?
2. Do we make our child/children wash their body?
3. Do we make them eat? Sleep?
4. Do we make them go to school, etc…?
Yes! Why? Because it’s important.
Is Church important for a child? Yes or No? Now, before you say no, may I remind you that approximately 95% of confined criminals in our jails have received no REGULAR religious training during their childhood?
I. WHY CHILDREN DON’T WANT TO GO TO CHURCH
As a member of a church which puts much emphasis on children ministries as a Minister, I have observed 3 major reasons why children don’t want to attend church:
1. Entertainment: The church cannot compete with the entertainment world today. Children are being brought up today, by TV, DVDs, Sports ,Computers, Music, and X Boxes. The entertainment world has millions of dollars to produce fast-paced entertainment. As a result, being entertained has become a life-style. Our children are lacking the character and discipline today to sit still, listen and learn, whether it be in the schoolroom or church. If they are not entertained, they are bored.
If a child has the option to quit something he/she is bored with, he/she will always quit.
Why? He/She does not have the discipline to stick it out. His/her character has been trained to only do things that are entertaining. What will happen to that child when he/she becomes bored with high school? or his/her job? or marriage, etc…? He/she will quit.
Parents should teach their children that life isn’t all entertainment. Brothers and sisters, TV has brought about the slow death of the mind. It has dulled our senses and robbed us of the ability to think. It’s easier to allow someone else to do our thinking for us.
Parents should make their children go to church. You say, “I am not going to force my children to go to church like I was.
1. Did you turn out bad?
2. Are your morals, standards and convictions higher than your children?
3. Are your parent’s higher than yours?
4. Are your grandparent’s morals higher than ours?
5. Where were all these morals taught?
6 Where did this country receive this heritage? From the Church From the Bible
2. Peer Pressure: “I’ll let my children decide for themselves what they believe,” declares many parents.
Brothers and Sisters there is no such thing! All of us (you and I) are the product of the influences of people around us. Abraham Lincoln once said, “You’ll be the same person you are a year from now except for the people you meet and the books you read.” Today we have more books influencing us through the eye-gate.
It doesn’t take much peer pressure before children bow to it. Nobody wants to be different. Even you and I as adults are controlled by peer pressure to some extent. We call it “keeping up with the Joneses”, or “being sociable” or “the good old American way.”
Children are controlled by children. Look at the way they want to dress or the way they eat, or the music they listen to, or the shows they watch. Parents, did you teach them to like these things? No. Who did? THEIR PEERS.
Because most children do not attend church, the pressure is put on children to believe that it is “normal” practice by their peers. No one, not even a child, wants to be considered abnormal. CHILDREN NEED TO BE TAUGHT THAT PEER PRESSURE IS NOT A GOOD BASIS TO MAKE DECISIONS ON. If this is the foundation of their decision making, they will follow the crowd into premarital or illicit sex, drugs, drunkenness, etc. DON’T ALLOW WHAT OTHER CHILDREN DO TO BE THE GUIDE FOR WHAT YOU ALLOW YOUR CHILD/CHILDREN TO DO! Especially concerning church attendance.
3. Hypocrisy Nothing has harmed the message or the power of the church as hypocrisy. I am talking about people who go to church 1 hour a week and act “religious” and then live like the devil the rest of the week. CHILDREN CAN SEE RIGHT THROUGH HYPOCRITES, so can everyone else.
There is nothing that has turned children away from the church more than hypocrisy. Brothers and sisters, it is the power of our example that gives power to what we are trying to teach. “Do as I say, not as I do” NEVER WORKS. Children hate that! Many parents I’ve heard say, “Well, my children don’t want to go to church anymore.” I say I bet if you started coming, they would keep coming. Usually the only teenagers we can keep coming to our church are the ones whose parents come all the time themselves and are honestly trying to live by God’s Word.
II. BIBLICAL RESPONSIBILITIES OF PARENTS:
Proverbs 22:6 Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.
Deuteronomy 6:6-7 And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. (7) You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up.
Hebrews 10:25 not foresaking the assembling of ourselves together as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.
III SO WHAT IS THE CHURCH?
1 Timothy 3:16 says that the church is: “the pillor and ground of the truth.” Brothers and Sisters, the truth is the Word of God and what it says.
Get yourself AND YOUR CHILDREN into a Bible believing, preaching AND PRACTING CHURCH, where the truth is taught without apology or compromise.
DADS, AND MOMS, YOU HAVE A KNOWLEDGE OF GOD. YOUR CHILDREN HAVE LESS. WILL THE NEXT GENERATION HAVE ANY?
Accept Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, today. Today is the day of salvation. Now is the accepted time. You may not have tomorrow. Have a Blessed Day.